Quilt Blocks

I am making a crib quilt for my granddaughter. Some of the blocks have flower appliques on them. The unique thing about these is that I cut the fabric with my Big Shot and the Flower Folds die. I have two tips to offer anyone who is interested in trying it themselves, tips learned the hard way:

1.) It is worth going to the quilt shop to purchase high quality fabric even if you pay more. The weave is tighter, enabling you to applique without puckering the fabric. Also, I fear that after all my work the fabric will just pull apart with multiple washings - necessary with a crib quilt.
2) Use the modern method of applying your fabric to the quilt block. I don't know why I reverted to the way I originally learned to applique when I've used the "wonder under" to fuse fabric together and applique before. However, I backed my block with interfacing, basted the flowers on and then zigzagged them. After all the basting, I didn't want to try to match the wonder under to the already-cut fabric.

The center of the large flower is actually another flower with the pedals folded under. I embroidered the centers of the smaller flowers.



Comments

Unknown said…
Please post the completed Quilt. I love the blocks and can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Popular posts from this blog

More Quilt Cards

You Mean Everything to Me

Easter Daffodils