Google+ Followers

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Easter Baskets

I found these cute Easter baskets that hold Hershey Kisses on another blog (qbeesquest.blogspot.com) and decided I just had to teach them to the attendees of my March stamp class! I made mine in Primrose Petals, Wild Wasabi and Marina Mist because they seem to be the closest colors to the pastel wrappers of the kisses. They're not really that difficult, either. And as I was putting mine together, I thought how easy it would be to make them into teacups for favors at a tea party. Just extend the tab and curl it around for a cup handle.

Anyway, these require no stamping, although you could add an Easter greeting to the top of the basket. I did add a strip of coordinating ribbon to the center of each handle and fastened the ends with brads through the side of the basket. The only tricky part is properly folding the inserts that hold the candy kisses.

The basket itself is made from a 2" x 9" strip of card stock folded in half and scored at 5/8", 1-3/4". 3-3/4" and 7". The longest segment becomes the top of the basket with the smallest piece being the tab that you glue to the side. Before folding on the score lines, however, you need to score at 1" lengthwise, fold and glue. I used our all purpose glue. Attach a 10-inch piece of ribbon to a 1"x10" strip of matching card stock and fasten to the basket with a brad and a glue dot or two.

The two inserts for the candy are one inch wide and 7 and 11 inches long. Both strips are scored at 1-inch intervals and folded to form triangles. You actually fold on two score lines one direction, then the opposite for the next two, and so on, until you have formed your triangles. No adhesive is needed for the inserts. I did find that I had to give the foil on the tips of the Kisses an extra twist to make them fit—it's a snug fit! I plan to give one to each of my grandchildren and to their parents and my son and maybe a few more. I think they are adorable and I'm sure the recipients will love them, too.

No comments: